Do other government agencies have import or export requirements?

Some goods are subject to other government department regulations and may require permits or certificates. It is important to determine these specifics prior to importation to ensure that your goods are compliant. In the event of any problems such as awaiting import licenses, we can transfer the goods into our bonded warehouse and reduce any costly storage bills associated with airline/port facilities.

What duties and taxes are payable?

Unless exempt, all commercial goods imported into the U.S. are subject to customs duty and taxes. In order to determine the applicable duties and taxes payable, you must first determine their tariff classification. In addition to customs duty and taxes, some goods are also assessed in relation to other taxes, including excise duty, excise tax, countervailing duties and anti-dumping duties.

What is a Customs Bond? Why is an Importer required to post a bond with Customs?

A bond is “a contract which is given to ensure the performance of an obligation by a law or regulation” When the bond is executed, the bond principle agrees to pay duties, taxes and charges in a timely manner, to make or complete entry, to produce documents and evidence, to redeliver merchandise etc.

In lieu of a bond, an importer has the option of posting cash or other U.S. government obligations in a sum equal to the bond amount. However, if an importer deposits money with Customs, such funds will not be released until sometime after entry is liquidated; this could take months or even years. KCarlton Intl can assist the importer in getting the proper bond to expedite the release of their shipment.

Can I import a vehicle?

  • Imported motor vehicles are subject to safety standards (regulated by the Department of Transportation DOT) and air pollution control standards (regulated by the Environmental Protection Agency EPA).
  • If vehicles manufactured abroad conform to U.S. safety, bumper, and emission standards, it is because these vehicles are exported for sale in the U.S. Therefore, it is unlikely that a vehicle obtained abroad meets all relevant standards. Vehicles entering the U.S. that do not conform with U.S. safety standards must be brought into compliance, exported, or destroyed.
  • Nonresidents may import a vehicle duty free for personal use up to one (1) year if the vehicle is imported in conjunction with the owner’s arrival.
  • Vehicles that are older than 25 years are usually exempt from safety and pollution control standards.
  • Please contact an Import professional at KCarlton Intl before you ship a vehicle to the U.S. For more information, you may visit the Customs, EPA or DOT website.

Helpful Links